Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Growing Too Fast

It struck me today, that my kids are growing too fast. My son turned 15 in June and my daughter will turn 8 on Monday. I don't feel old, because of their ages and how fast they're growing. I just feel panicked. Think about this, in December my son will get his learners license. Soon after that he'll have his driver's license.

My son has always hung around with his friends, but they are always here and still are. And I love having all the kids here because I know they're safe and what they're up to. But now they're starting to go to the mall, ball games and to lawn parties by themselves (without me). We're a very close family and I think that's why it's so hard on me. Now when my son asks if he can go somewhere with his friends, in my heart I want to say "no, stay home with me", but realistically I have to let him go and grow. We pray that our kids do good in life, grow healthy and strong, stay safe. And most important keep God in their lives even when they grow up, move out and have families of their own.

We let our kids grow, instruct them and nourish them....but we also give them their wings. Like my parents, especially my Mom. They were over protective but they gave us wings. They still keep us close to their hearts and under their wings.

My kids are everything to me. I pray they grow up to be good Godly young adults. But most of all, I pray God gives me the grace to help me, "let" them grow up. Hug your kids and tell them how much you love them. Before you know it....they'll be on their own!

2 comments:

Anieta McCracken said...

Eeekkksss! give me the grace to let them grow up, you said. Somehow it feels like it was easier to let my children grow up than it is to let my grandchildren grow up. The youngest one started kindergarten this year, and I can feel her starting to pull away -- and I miss her! They're still close, and I love both equally, but the older one went to school two years ago, and I've adjusted to her absence and anyway there was still one left. . .

farmerswifederbymom said...

LOL, I dont have grandkids yet. But my Mom is the same way. All the "firsts" my kids, nieces and nephews have/will have, she's right there and gets equally excited and teary eyed.