Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Our Veterans Deserve Better

In today's Daily News Record, Harrisonburg, Virginia. There's an editorial about Vets deserving better medical care. www.dnronline.com

These men and women, risked their lives for OUR freedom. They risk their lives, so WE can sit in our comfy house, enjoy satellite tv and have a nice meal. Whether they fought for 1 day, months, years or never made it home alive. They deserve our respect and thanks. My Dad enlisted to go to Vietnam. He's had some rough years and he has more of those years to come. But he has never once regretted going over there to fight. He fought for our freedom just like other soldiers. When he got back home, he was treated like dirt by hippies and war protesters who had the FREEDOM to stand at the airport and the bus station that Dad arrived at. My Dad and alot of others, fought so those people could have the freedom to do that. Sad but true.

Veterans need better health care; physical and mental, better benefits in all areas. Each Veteran needs to wake up each day with the medicine he/she needs and not worry about how they're going to have to pay for the next supply of medicine they need, wake up with a place to live and food they need. They need to know if they have a mental break down, (and it's likely to happen) they will get the help they need without all the "red tape". Which lets face it, slows them down for years.

I have a huge soft spot in my heart for Veterans, but especially homeless Veterans. Alot of people send millions of dollars to other countries helping others with food, physical and health needs and other causes these people find. But what about our Veterans? They're here in your community, but you reach over seas to help others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying stop helping others. Because it is important to help others in need. But our priority should be on those who fought for us. Some people are so against fighting in the war(s) that they wont even look at a soldier.

This world is hard enough. And the government and some people, treat soldiers as if they have a skunk attached to them. Come on people, our Veterans stood up and fought for us, we owe them so and we can never repay them. Their service was invaluable and without their service, I may not be able to sit here and type all this or wear the clothes I want. I might not be able to go to the church of my choice or choose what religion they want. Next time you see a Veteran or active Soldier, shake their hand and thank them for serving our country. And Thanks Dad!!

2 comments:

Tiny Tim said...

I could not agree more. I think veterans are forgotten in this Country way too much. My Dad is a veteran and my brother has been in the Air Force 17 years. My brother is rarely in harms way but when ever he is in the Middle East its a terrible feeling in the pit of your stomack. I can't imagine what parents go through when their kids are on the front line.

farmerswifederbymom said...

I come from a Military family too and I honestly hope my kids dont go in. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but look at the world today.

Tim, please thank your Dad and brother for me!!!