Saturday, July 12, 2008

Drive-in Movies

My son, cousin and their friends went to the Valley Mall free movie drive-in this evening. And it brought back cherished memories. My parents used to take us all the time. I used to love it. And then when my son was little, we used to take him back to West Virginia because as far as I know that was the only drive-in movies open close by. But I think that shut down a few years later. Not 100% positive about that.

We used to love taking him too. I love the little food stands that you walked over to, the smell of fresh popcorn and the night air. Everything was wonderful. I dont even think it mattered how good the movie was. It was just fun being there. Seeing your friends and family who were sure to be there too. I wish someone would open one here during the warm months. Tighter security of course. When I was little you just didn't worry about all that. My how times have changed. I'm not even that old, but things have changed dramatically.

Anyway, I hope they enjoy the movie and make more memories.

2 comments:

Christa said...

When I was 12, I moved to Arkansas with my uncle after my parents nasty divorce. The best memories I have in that little town was going to the drive in. We used to call it going to the "show". After the show, we would all go to a soda shop called Henry's and hang out. The population of the town was only 5500 so everyone knew everyone and I soon learned to love it there more than I did here. I was there last May 2007 to photograph my cousins wedding and they had torn it down. Henry's was gone too. I was heartbroken.

farmerswifederbymom said...

That's so cool. My Aunt used to take us to Wool Worths down town and get ice cream floats. I wish that place was still open, so I could take my kids.