Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Story Tellers

My Granddaddy Rhodes used to sit with us on his front porch and tell us all kinds of stories. Not stories you read out of a book. But stories about his life, his parents, grandparents, etc. When we were growing up, like most kids we wanted to go climb a tree or ride bikes, instead of sitting there listening to old stories...some about people we never met. But most of the time we did listen. I think he thought we weren't listening because under his breath he'd say things like "well, if you're not gonna listen or I guess you don't care to hear about your family." Truth is, I was listening, I just couldn't sit still long enough to listen...I still cant.

I love to hear stories about our family. Honestly about anyone's family. That's one reason why I became a Professional Genealogist. My son says it's because I'm nosey, but I guess it goes with the territory. I want to know everything about everyone, especially about your family. If you meet me, I'm gonna ask you about you and your family clear back as far as you know and where they're from. I want to hear your family story.

Think about this; it's important that at this moment you be the story teller. Just as you parents were, just as your grandparents were and so on. You're kids, nieces, nephews, etc. will act like they're not listening. And some might not be, but most will be listening in their own way. Most will go to school and tell their friends the story, they might even write a report about it. Once you have the stories in their heads, they don't forget them. They'll grow up and tell their kids and grand kids.

This is how your family legacy is kept alive. You don't have to come from a famous family and your family doesn't have to be rich. The stories that keep your family going, are exactly that....stories that kept your family together, that got your family through hard times, memories your family made during good times and bad. It's especially fun for a kid, when they hear about the family member they act like. I tell my niece (brother's little girl) and my kids about my brother growing up, and they hoot, holler and laugh. My son acts exactly like my brother, so he's especially curious with all the stories.

Keeping your stories alive, is keeping your family history alive. Once they are no longer told, your family history disappears. After a few generations...the gap is so wide and the stories no longer can be told.

Be the storyteller in your family.

2 comments:

Christa said...

I wished I had listened better to my grandma's and dad's stories about the history of the business. We will be 100 years old next year and I long to have them here to tell those wonderful stories.

farmerswifederbymom said...

I wish my Granddaddy was still around to tell stories. But I agree, sometimes I didn't listen good enough. I know your place has a long history. 100 years, WOW!! That's incredible. But your photos can tell the stories.