Monday, July 7, 2008

Parental Forgiveness

So many times other kids hurt your own kids and it seems that the parents have a harder time
forgiving the other kid, than your own kid does. I know I do. I know if other kids hurt my kids, forgiveness and forgetting is a long way off. But how are we to teach our kids forgiveness, when our own hearts don't follow that rule at times? And can a parent truly ever forgive someone that hurt their kids? As a mother, I find it quite hard at times to do this. Like my Mom, I've always been super over protective of my kids. Even now, my brother, sister and I are all grown up and she's still the same way. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. So because of our love and strength for our kids, it's hard.

I found that I do eventually forgive. I just don't trust that kid(s) enough to allow my kids with that person(s). Trust me, I've been tested during last school year. So I did learn...I do forgive, I just don't trust anymore.

So what if my kids hurt someone? And their parents react like I would. How do I deal with that? Well, I pray that those kids will forgive my kids eventually. But I have to remember that their parents will have the same "trust" issues as I do. So I try (key word being try) to remember that they need time too. And I try not to let my anger set in too deep. Eventually, it all works out in God's time.

As parents we need to remember to forgive those who hurt our precious gifts from God. But we also need to be patient with other parents. In our lifetimes, we will be hurt, we'll actually be hurt alot. And we will also hurt others, maybe a lot too.

No comments: