Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Difference Between Boys & Girls and Moms & Dads

Here in the Shenandoah Valley, specifically Rockingham County,Virginia we raise some tough kids. On one hand, we like our girls sugary sweet, with bows in their hair and a little twinkle in their eyes. But on the other hand, we expect them to learn what being a Southern country girl is all about. We work on farms with the guys, we drive big trucks lifted so getting in and out can sometimes be a challenge. We can wrestle with the cows and calves like the rest of them. We teach our daughters how to hunt. And one of our favorite places to eat is at the Shenandoah Valley Livestock Sales. We also teach them how to make the best apple pie you've ever eaten and some mean fried chicken, mashed potatoes and home made gravy.

My Husband & I were joking one day about how he wouldn't mind seeing a picture of a pretty girl on the fridge (another story, another day). Instead of my daughters Barbie magnets. My daughter quickly told her Dad "Momma knows how to use a shot gun!" Wow, a girl after my own heart.

So where do we draw the line between throwing a bail of hay out for the cows and being called pumpkin, by your Daddy? Well let's start with the Momma and the Daddy's. As most of you know, Virginia has been clobbered with snow, snow, ice and more snow. Almost three months later the snow is still here. We live out in the country on back roads. And my Niece was leaving for school on a 2 hour delay, which after they finally got back to school after being off for a whole 2 weeks. 2 hour delays were very common. She left for school in her car. Hit ice, spun around and hit a snow bank and went into a ditch. She called her Dad, he came got her out and sent her to school. (You know, it's a guy thing). My Sister-In-Law who is sitting at home with a painful broken ankle calls my Niece to check on her. She's sitting down in Broadway crying. My Sister-In-Law tells her to come home (it's a girl thing). My Sister-In-Law and I got a kick out of my Brother-In-Law sending her to school. Why? Because this was devastating and scary to my Niece. To a guy, it's no big deal. To prove my point. Last summer my Son who is exactly 4 days younger then my Niece. Wrecked his Jeep. He was driving through the field, his tire blew, he hit a big rock (that's all we got out here) and flipped the Jeep. It messed up his Jeep real bad. He hurt his head, back, ribs, shoulder and legs. My Son other then hurting and being sore was okay with it. Hauled the Jeep closer to our house and went on with his friends. Me? I freaked out (its a girl thing). Is my Son okay, is he broken? Does he need a big hug from Momma? Oh no, he's fine. My husband (its a guy thing) laughed.

Oh yes he did. He laughed after he made sure he was okay. I still haven't laughed yet. We had to quickly take the Jeep to the junk yard to be crushed so I wouldn't have to look at it all the time.

We raise our kids in a Christ centered home, in church and surrounded by family. Not all of us turn out real good, but at least all the parents try. My Momma can weld just as good as any guy, maybe even better then some guys. And she can shoot a fox or deer whenever she wants to. But she'll turn around and get all dressed up in a pretty dress when need be. You gotta remember how, who and where we were raised. Especially who we were raised by; the Guys and the Girls. Sugary sweet and tough as nails.

1 comment:

Admin said...

Wow! You have some Momma! Interesting post, Angel.